In 2012, I managed development of a museum exhibit interactive called The Alchemical Quest, which supported an exhibit of rare books. The books originated during the golden age of alchemy, from the 16th and 17th centuries and were drawn from the collections of the Othmer Library of Chemical History. The report below documents the project team’s efforts to make these texts accessible and alive to visitors via touch projection technology.
- Reinforce the depth and complexity presented in the exhibition content
- Implicitly reiterate the exhibition narratives while allowing for visitors to enjoy the imagery of the books through the interactive experience
- Provide visitors with alternate means of experiencing the books in the exhibition
- Foster curiosity and encourage deeper exploration of images and text
- Demonstrate an example of an alchemical process in its entirety
- Reflect the fantastical and practical balance found within the books